Saturday, June 14, 2014

The two week transformation challenge - Part 1

Two weeks to transform a big house with 7 rooms and an attic?!

Have I finally (and completely) lost my mind?! 

I've booked a trading table at the Penrith Dolls Bears Craft and Collectibles Show on Sunday 29 June - just two weeks away - and I've committed to do my very best to present a BIG house for sale. But what's a challenge if it's not a REAL challenge so I'm also hoping to get it furnished (at least partly) as well! I'm going to be the only miniaturist trading there so even if the house doesn't sell hopefully it'll be a point of interest and maybe even convert a few doll collectors to our mini world. 

For some of you out there who are fast workers this would be a 'walk in the park' but I'm one of the slowest builder-decorators in the world. However I have a secret weapon - a flat pack house I bought just before I started building the French shop and apartment. It's been sitting, in pieces, near my work table waiting patiently for attention and it's sure going to get it now! 

Step 1 - Removing the manufacturer's wallpaper

No pics of the original wallpaper sorry because I was in such a hurry I didn't think to take any but trust me, it HAD to go. What a mission that was! As per usual with wallpaper (this was the real stuff, not dollhouse paper) the outer layer came of easily but in spite of using what I think is the best wallpaper stripper in the universe the bottom layer pretty much refused to budge. Obviously some unknown adhesive from hell had been used here so I gave up on the plan to remove all traces of the original paper removing only what did lift and sanding back the rough edges of what was left once it dried. (Foolishly without wearing a mask so a lot of sneezing followed). 

Step 2 - Preparing the exterior for a new coat of paint

The main exterior colour of this house is too yellow. It needs a more neutral colour scheme in order to be able to blend in with the widest possible range of potential new homes so a repaint is a must.

I didn't fancy having to work around all those windows, and the balcony railing posed a real problem, so off it all came!

I was a bit shocked at how easily the windows in particular popped off. They'd been attached with hot glue which as you can see was only holding in a few places. They'll be way more secure when I put them back on again.

Well there's no going back now! I hope you'll have fun following along on this renovation journey but be sure to 'buckle up'  because it's going to be a wild ride! 


Plushpussycat said...

Sounds like fun, Norma. :-) I'm up for it! You go, girl! xo Jennifer

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

You'll do it Norma and we're all cheering you on from the sidelines!

De said...

I'm anxious to see your transformation!

Anna said...

You can do it, Norma! Updating a dollhouse can't possibly be harder than building one...

Wyrna Christensen said...

So exciting and so brave you are. Only 2 weeks to renovate a whole house. I would love to visit your table.
I'm also crazy about your lovely bathroom. So fine detail.
Hugs and enjoy

shannonc60 said...

Good luck! I'm sure you can do it! I look forward to seeing the end result.

Indy_Poppy said...

Great project, I can't wait to see it finished.

Daydreamer said...

Wow! I'm buckled! LOL!
It looks like a house with a lot of "potential"! I really look forward to seeing how it goes! You are one Brave miniaturist!!!

The grandmommy said...

I love the idea! Maybe it get me speeding up a bit now. LOL Keep us posted!

Lucille said...

Norma, I'm certainly looking forward to this! What a challenging project! Go, girl, go!

Lucille said...

Norma, I'm certainly looking forward to this! What a challenging project! Go, girl, go!

Fabiola said...

Good luck! I'm curious to see the "new" house.
The facade is amazing.

dallydominis said...

Good luck. I am looking forward to seeing the finished result :)

Lisa T said...

Wonderful, Norma! I know you can do it. Looking forward to seeing more of this transformation.
A big hug,